The records have been generated by officers of the university for the purpose of carrying out university business and document policies and decision-making within the university. These records are all State records and some are also State archives. View the UNSW Access Directions to find out more about access to UNSW's State archives.
100th Meeting of the UNSW Council July, 1962
(Photographer: Max Dupain, UNSW Archives CN122-246)
The university publications held by the Archives are wide-ranging and include whole of university material, as well as items produced by individual faculties and schools. These include guides produced about the university. Some early examples of guides are NSW Technical University (1948), Guide to the New South Wales University of Technology at Kensington (1956), Guide to the New South Wales University of Technology at Kensington (1957), UNSW Information Booklet (c. 1960) and UNSW Information Booklet (c. 1970).
Below is a list of bodies that these records incorporate, as well as brief histories and information on some material held. Please contact the Archives for more details on our holdings of official records, as we generally hold much more on a body than has been so far added to its list. For information on obtaining access to any of these records, please see the Archives Procedures page.
Governance, Management & Administration
We hold records generated by the university's governing and administrative bodies, including:
- Developmental Council & its committees (1947 - 1949)
- Council & its committees (1949 - )
- Professorial Board & its committees (c.1949 - 1988)
- Academic Board & its committees (1988 - )
- Vice Chancellor's Unit
- Registrar's Division
Teaching & Research
We hold records generated by:
St George Institute of Education / City Art Institute
- Alexander Mackie College (AMC) (1958 - 1974) / Alexander Mackie College of Advanced Education (1975 - 1981)
- St George Institute of Education, Sydney College of Advanced Education
- City Art Institute, Sydney College of Advanced Education (1982 - 1987) / City Art Institute, New South Wales Institute of the Arts (1987 - 1989)